Pipe Burst Prevention Before You Leave Town
Absentee homeowners/residents: Vacationers, snowbirds, or if unit is vacant for more than 1 day, be sure to complete following steps:
- Set the thermostat in your unit no lower than 55°F, preferably 65°
- Give friend or neighbor key to unit for emergency access
- Have friend or neighbor check unit daily to make sure it’s warm enough to prevent freezing
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to un-insulated pipes under sinks and appliances.
- Close main shutoff valve in hot water heater closet; turn down hot water tank
- Spigots: Disconnect garden hoses
- Townhomes: outside utility closet – main water pipes are in the ceiling. Keep closet light on; if necessary, add lamp light to keep closet warm
Provide HOA Board and Property Manager with your contact information or contact information of friend/neighbor who has access to your unit.